Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving in Niger

Quick Post!

So, I have a few spare moments here for a quick blog- we're on a little shopping extraviganza in Niamey (capital- which they abreviate NY- a bit confusing.. ANYWAY) and we stopped by the peace corps office for a little computer time... so, forgive the fact that there are also no pictures attached to this blog- there will be plenty later on... someday..

So, just to update- I now know the official location in Niger in which I will be living the next 2 years! I won't write the exact village name (you know, for security..) But I will be living in the Tahoua region of Niger in a village of about 1500 people. I love my spot and the villagers are all so nice and friendly; and to top it off, I have some amazing PC neighbors in neighboring villages... So, not to brag, but I'm pretty sure I've got a couple awesome years comming up- only small glitch is that I have a close to 3 hour "bush" walk to the paved road (but if I get that camel...).

This last week we actually spent the week at our new location and then Thanksgiving at our regional hostels (there are 5 regions of Niger peace corps is in, each has a regional hostel). My new home: I have (pretty amazing) a TWO room mud (adobe/mud) house with TWO windows, TWO tables, TWO trunks, THREE mats, and get this... I have a CHAIR, as well as some other things, but thats what got me most excited. I know what you're thinking.. luxury? Thats what I thought too. Also I have a fairly large concession area, big enough to put in a small garden. My neighbors are really nice I live in a very large family consession with 3-4 families in it (not entirely sure yet..) Three are Hausa families and one is a Fulani family (a little homework is to look up those ethnicities, I dont have time for detail now :) )

My first week in village was a great experience in which I learned I speak basically no Hausa, and the bit I did know had a different dialect... Its kinda like studying Chinease and then realizing youre actually in Japan (ok, I'm exagerating it wasnt that bad- towards the end of the week I was starting to carry small simple conversations) I did learn that you don't need to know much for small talk in Hausa-land, my typical conversation: first step (greeting) Good morning! Hows the work , Hows your family, hows your health, did you sleep well, hows the tiredness, hows the cold (wich is probably 80 degrees F.) second step (state the obvious) Youre pounding. what are you pounding? youre pounding millet. Greeting on your effort, greetings on your work... third step (goodbye) ok, bye.. So- about three days, nothing but that. It was actually kinda fun I think they think I'm either crazy or just stupid but I had a blast- I even got to go to a wedding one day with some A-MAZING dancing, I took video, so I'll do some work on getting that on here.

Thanksgiving at the hostel was absolutely fabulous. One may wonder what you could possibly feast on for thanksgiving in one of the hottest third-world countries in Africa, so let me describe:
the team had baught a turkey a few weeks prior and had spent a while fattening him up pretty good (and he was when I saw him) also we had at least 6 guinie-fowl, also delicious, and the I cant even begin to describe the amounts and varieties of food different people had put together, we had all the traditional mashed potoatos and stuffing, as well as some different dishes with eggplant, peppers, etc- all of which, AMAZING. So for those of you who may have been concerned that I sat on a mat eating Millet thanksgiving dinner, don't be too worried. I far from went hungry.

So much more to write, but so little time, so I'll just finish with a little schedule of events- we have exactily two weeks of training left, next week we have our highly-important language exam in which we have to rank at least intermediate-med or we get to stay behind for two weeks of remedial lang class.. and at the end of two weeks, if all goes well, we have a swearing in ceremony in which we become "official" volunteers (even at the US ambassador's- ooh la la) So, hopefully Ill post begore then, but if not, in two weeks!

4 comments:

NIGER1.COM said...

niger news WWW.NIGER1.COM

Kerry said...

Nicole,
I know from speaking to her, that Jessica is happy and excited to have you as a neighbor! Your site sounds good. Room for a garden, maybe even a camel...

Mary said...

I WAS thinking about you on Thanksgiving and wondering about that, so I'm so glad to find out that you had a fabulous feast! I can't wait to see more pictures. Good luck on the exam!

Anonymous said...

NICHOLE!!!! I just found your blog in my email and am so excited I get to read about your adventure...It sounds like you are having a great time already and I'm very very jealous!! :) I'm thinking of you!!