Thursday, January 1, 2009

All Alone in the Bush

Ok, Not all alone! So, Ive been at my new post for over two weeks now, bringing my total Niger-time up to almost 3 months.. (CRAZY) Time flies...
So, recap, spent a week in my new village before Christmas, headed into the regional hostel for the festivities, a couple days later headed back out to begin the infamous 'one-month-at-post'. The first week in village was a little shakey, lets be honest. New house, new neighbors, new language, and all about 30 K from the nearest PC Voulunteer.. My villagers are really nice though, and just like moving anywhere, I knew it would take a little while to settle in and feel at home. I can now report that the village is awesome and I love every part of it (well, that three-hour walk to the main road is a bit... harsh) I'm really starting to make friends in my village and find out who I want to hang out with and work with (you know, who has the pet cat, who makes the best millett, etc..), and I'm pretty excited about the next few years.
Life's a bit slow right now as really my only responsabilities are to learn Hausa and to integrate into my community.. that leaves a lot of free time!
I've started jogging in the mornings, which is fairly amusing. My villagers find anyone who would run down the road and back, simply for the joy of it really amuzing. Exercise to them (not suprised) is an odd concept as they really just dont have the time or extra energy for wierd activites like running. It does make for good conversation though!

3 comments:

Casey said...

Aw I'm glad you're having a good time! I hope you had a good Christmas and are ready for the new year! I was thinking about you at Christmas! miss you!

Mary said...

Hey! Just wanted you to know that I WAS thinking about you and sent you a Christmas card, but the chances of you actually getting it are slim, I think. The ones around here even had trouble. Today one of my friends dropped by after she had been to the post office, with my card in a plastic bag, BURNED around the edges(???) AND it had been to Oklahoma and back. So if you get yours, it would be a miracle indeed. :)

Kerry said...

hi Nicole, Jessica's mom here. She is a 30 minute bike ride from you, and is really liking having you as a neighbor! Is it true that Tahoua has an internet cafe w/skype capabilities?