Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Easter!

Well, the heat is a learning experience if nothing else... I've learned that everything's pretty relalive- when its 120 degrees outside, sitting in a 90 degree hut feels like air conditioning. No seriously..
I don't know how many times over this easter weekend we discussed how nice it was when it finally cools off for the day (at about 6:30 or so) and then looking at the temeprature and realizing its still over 100 degrees.
So, Easter was different but good- me and a few other volunteers from my region went to Easter mass in the morning, after which Leah and I made french toast for whoever wanted it followed by chocolate cake (thanks for the mix dad). So, it was a nice Easter over all.. no chocolate bunnies or marshmallow peeps (which would have been little more than chocolate or pink sprinkled blobs) and no hidden baskets or eggs, though, we thought about hidding stuff for people to find... without them knowing (You know, cell phones, shoes...). Easter Mass was really great- I've only been to this particular Catholic church one other time (for christmas actually) but the music especially is really fun. They use traditional drums and theres a lot of clapping :)
But moving on, village is really great- because it's so hot, there's really not much you can accomplish in a day. I've met with a womens group in my village organized by a local NGO a few times to get a little more familiar with their group and their work.
They have an Animal Fodder 'bank' or co-op, and they manage their own Caisse. They're a really motivated group and they really put in a lot of effort to their work. What I hope to help them with is to keep better records in their group and during meetings; they also really want to extend their 'bank' to also having a grain bank and a chemical fertalizer bank. So, my new project I'm going to take on is to get them organized and write a proposal for the funding of the initial grain and chemical fertalizer. I'm actually really excited to have my first 'official' project starting and I'll keep you updated. They were so excited when I agreed to look into the project and see of funding possibilies. What I think I'm going to do is Peace Corps Partnership funding, in which I write a proposal and friends and family, or anyone who finds it interesting can donate any kind of amount to it online. (don't worry, I'll keep you updated!)
Anyway, short post, but the internet is slow today and my hour's almost up! Happy Easter!

2 comments:

NIGER1.COM said...

Hello Nicole i am from niger and actually from Konni I am based in New york City but my family is in Konni and i am in touch with Jessica Bliss
My familly is all over Konni and the also own a cybercafe go there and ask for Mansoor
Ask around or at the mayor office if the know the Oubandawaki Family we are very famous in Konni tell them you arei n contact with
by the way i also manage the website about Niger Niger1.com
the page is english is http://www.niger1.com/indexo1.html

Casey said...

Good luck with your funding proposal! I'm so proud of you and your working in the heat! :-)