Tuesday, June 2, 2009

To Buy or Not to Buy.. No longer a question

Well its been a long couple of weeks in the bush, but not much to report on... It seems my villagers are just twittling their thumbs til the rain comes- I'm pretty sure I'm just as anxious, but more for it to be a cooler temeperature than in excitement to plant my fields.
I have bee seriously concidering buying the horse now, mostly after I took a trip up to the big animal market in Badagishiri and took a look at the horses.. I have to let you know about this one, I was pretty sure I was going to get (I even told the guy I might come back in a few weeks if he's still there) He was all black with three white socks and a stipe, super sweet, and only four years old, and, compared to many of the other horses in the market, reletively nutritioned. When I asked the man how much, he told me 150,000 CFA, which is about 300 USD, but I didnt haggle, and if I were to buy him for real, I think I may have gotten him down to 100,000. ANYWAY. So I thought I had found my horse. So I get home, start making plans for my big purchase. I talked to my neighbors and they were all for letting my put him in the large 'family' concession as theres no room in my personal concession. Things were looking good. Then I went on the search for Hay... After this question my villagers shattered my little dream with "HA HA, you cant buy hay til harvest! You'll have to wait til October!" I was very sad. So, then I was like, can I buy it in the market town? they said yeah, but it would cost 1,000 CFA a bundle. INSANE price. 1,000 CFA is about 2 USD, and that would mean I would be paying 30 Mille a month on hay alone, plus a big bag of grain, another 15 Mille, with a grand total of 45 mille a month just to feed the horse! Wich, anyone who's owned the horse and did the math (90 USD) would be like, 'uh, thats insanely cheap..' but, when you live off of two USD a day, it's not looking to feasable. So the end of my sad story, is I'm back to my original-reviesed plan, to wait and get the horse during harvest. I'm sure I'll find one that I like just as much as that one, but I still cant help being like, "I want THAT one!!". SIGH.
So other than horse drama, I haven't had much to do.. With my Chemical Fertalizer project, I wrote my proposal, and we're just waiting for the forms to go through so we can start funding, so nothing to do but wait. I did, however, start a little Moranga tree pepiniere- I planted about 45, but still have a ton of seeds, so I might plant another 30. In theory, after about 3 months (moranga grow really fast) they'll be pretty close to ready and I want to do a big sensibilization and then give them away (nothing makes people more interested in a project than free stuff) after they've listened to me ramble about the nutritional value of Moranga (look it up- it's really good stuff, seriously.). So I guess, actually, I'm kinda going to be like one of those 'knife-infomerchals" things in the mall where you have to sit through their boring demonstration to get the free knife set, but hey, maybe someone will retain something :)
I have been really lucky lately with produce- For the past couple months it's been mainly onions and mangos, with an occasional eggplant, but just the other day I found CUCUMBERS in the Tahoua market (which I always disliked, but now theyre delicious..) and, today, I found bananas and pineapple in the Konni market. I was very excited. The End.. I just read that and realized how boring my life must be if thats what I fill my blog with. Oh well, it's exciting stuff here.
Well! All for now, my hour's bout up, let me know any questions or if I've left any gaping holes in my experience-writings!

2 comments:

casa da poesia said...

"Negema wangu binti"

Casey said...

That's a bummer about the horse! I know you'll get one eventually, though, so no worries.
As always, I love reading your updates and miss you a LOT!