Thursday, December 2, 2010

Last few days in Niamey

One week left of Niamey life, then no more delicous resturants, internet at my fingertips, fresh fruits and veggitables, cheese, cell phone reception, or English conversations... The closer I get to December 10th, the more I keep splurging on things 'one last time'. Kinda like before I left the U.S. for Niger, strange how the list of 'things to splurge on' has changed though. To be honest, I can no longer remember what that 'one thing' I had to have before I left was. I remember really, REALLY missing candy and junk food for about the first 4 months of service, then I just stopped thinking about it. I've discovered most of my favorite foods I can actually make myself (like scones....thats right.) and fresh foods tast soo much better.

oops, let me back up a little bit. I think in my last post I mentioned that I was hoping that I would make it back mid December for my month home leave. This was, however, before I had discussed with the organization I would be working with. After discussion, we realized it would be breeding season for the ostriches, and it would be really important to have someone at the site. Which is just fine, but also means no christmas at home this year.. We'll shoot for 2012 holiday season :). Currently I'm concidering mid-March, mid-April home leave, trying to hit Easter (also attempt to avoid the 120 degree hot season), but we'll see. So, that said, I move straight up to the site after my original COS date.

I think the hardest thing by far will be seeing the rest of my stage excitedly pack up and leave for home, exciting vacation destinations, new jobs, and grad school. I remember when the first group of my stage left a year ago (back when we were evacuated from the Tahoua region), it makes one increadably homesick to watch everyone move on and know that you have a year left. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm very excited about this new job and about the village, location, and everything, it'll just take some transitioning.

My shade hangar project (which is taking a rediculous amount of time considering their small size and light work involved) is finally underway!!! If all goes well, it should (InchaAllah) be done by the end of the week. Other than that, its just a matter of training and transitioning one of the keepers to continue the food donation program and then I'm officially finished. This is another part of the new post that will be hard; this has been such a fun job and amazing opportunity to work here at the zoo. The keepers and everyone I worked with were so friendly and helpful- it'll be hard to say good bye.

This is all I have for now- once I move up to my new post I'll share more of my exciting job at the Ostrich conservation site :). Merry Christmas everyone, just in case I dont get a chance to write again before then. Wish I could be home to share the holidays!!


Our COS trip included a trip to see the giraffes!



Just pausing for a picture..



2 years in Country! The remaining 2008-2010 AG/NRM stage

No comments: