Sunday, February 8, 2009

Birthdays and Sunas

I would just like to point out it has only been a little over a week since my last post, I'm pretty sure that's some kind of record...
However, since is has been so recient, Im not really sure what to write about...
First off, my b-day is on the 17th and I will be 24! I feel so old. It's an interesting question to ask villagers how old they are, my typical answers have been, "um... I dont know" (if theyre being honest), "50" (this was from a woman I am more than possitive was pushing 85+), or with kids, they all seem to be 7 or 8... (not sure I buy) But it just seems really interesting to me, comming from a culture in which so much emphasis is put on how old you are and your birthday, to come here where most people dont know or care. I keep just wanting to ask, but wait, isnt it a big deal??? I think we put maybe a little too much emphasis on individual b-days (I say this AFTER my b-day packages have been sent) however, the age thing is good argument- I think I've seen possibly 13-year-olds drive down the street on motorcycles.. a bit scary.
They do however have a "Baby-Naming Ceremony" exactly one week after the baby is born. They usually have guests all day, possibly some music and dancing, and they usually give out food of some kind and meat (if they have the money for it). I recently went to a Fulani baby-naming ceremony (or 'Suna' as they call it, meaning 'name') waaaaay out in the bush from my village. I actually kinda felt honored, first the father found me in the village one day, several days before, and asked me if I would come, which I was really wishy-washy, and said oh, maybe... then the day before two fulani girls showed up in the middle of a class I was attending and asked if I was still coming so at that point I felt obligated..
So, I admit, I thought as I started walking out to the Suna with one of my friends (who happens to be the "50" year old woman going on 85...) that I was going to an actual village. If I'd have thought about it I probably would have remembered that these Fulanis, as many do, lived and moved with their livestock, setting up encampments for a few months at a time. So it was really interesting to show up in the middle of the bush, where they had set up their life under the shade of a few trees. They were all so suprised that I had actually made the effort to head out there, it was pretty great. (Not to mention I gave up going to horse racing with a few other PCVs to go.. or I thought I was, it ended up getting canceled)
Anyway, I did take some pictures, but once again, not really in a position to be able to put them on here, so anjima I will get them up... or send them to my mom and SHE'll get them up :) (right?)

4 comments:

Mother Dearest said...

clol Yes! I'll post any pictures you send to me. I'm sorry I haven't sent you a large memory card yet, I still need to get one. It's so great to read your blog! You may think you don't have anything to write, but you have to realize that even the most mundane thing you've done is fascinating to most of us! Keep on posting, it's great. It's good to know that you're well and that you are enjoying life. Love you!

Casey said...

I just LOVE reading about your life. It's so interesting to learn about what you do as well as learning about people who are so different from me. I think I'll start telling people I'm 50 also. :-)
Happy birthday and keep writing when you can!

Unknown said...

Hi Nicole,
Happy Birthday, Old Girl. We are enjoying every word of your blog. Keep up the good work.
Rob's Mom

Mary said...

I agree with your mom- every little thing you right about is intriguing!